Tuesday, April 17, 2007

How to both "let go" AND "be receptive"??

It has been so long now since I posted anything on the blog that I was starting to get really cold feet, building up all kinds of pressure, feeling like I had to post something incredibly profound to be worthy of having waited so long to do it!

It was getting serious... All kinds of old perfectionist patterns started to rear themselves and pop up again... Thoughts of: "I can't write that" or "nobody will care about that" or "that is not a fully formed idea!" I was trying to motivate myself by forcing some big and monumental idea out of my brain. Even little glimpses of brilliance in an e-mail to a client, or a quote from a friend which would ordinarily stir up quite a nice little riff were leaving me cold.

What's a girl to do? Where is my life coach when I need her? How am I supposed to manifest a brilliant blog entry when I feel so confused in my own life right now??? What would I say to me if I were my coach?

I'd say: "let go and do something, anything, toward your goal!"

Huh?

How am I supposed to do THAT, when my goal (to write something on the blog) is the VERY thing I can't seem to do right now!!??!!

"Make an attempt. Try. Just try."

The word "try" gets a lot of bad press in some circles these days... If I had $100 for every time someone quoted Yoda to me with all the "there is no try, only do, or not do" stuff, well, then, I'd have more than a few hundred dollars. But, seriously, we often hear that there is no such thing as "trying", and I wholeheartedly disagree!

I believe that it is in the very act of "trying" to make progress toward our goal - taking some little action or putting something out there BEFORE it is perfect or fully formed - that actually communicates to the Universe that we are serious about attaining the goal! [Warning: Bad analogy approaching!] In other words, I could meditate on a pizza all night long, set intentions, and visualize myself having it, and still probably go hungry. But, if I do something to TRY to take action to get it, even if that attempt is not perfect, I'll have a MUCH better chance of getting it! (Like at least calling the pizza delivery place (even if I don't yet know exactly what kind I want yet!) [See, I told you it was a bad analogy. Oh well.]

But I left it in to illustrate my point. Making a lame attempt at what we want to try to experience is our way of meeting the Universe half-way... A cosmic way to sort of "prime the pump" and make a gesture that symbolizes that we are ready for more action, more assistance, more inspiration, more synchronicity, more gifts... Any one of which may be the very thing we have been waiting for!

How do you let go? Focus on a successful outcome while you try to do any little thing you can to make it real yourself, and then watch God rush in and finish the job. Try.