Friday, May 11, 2007

More on "The River" of Life...

I have been thinking of the metaphor that Karen brought up in her last post, about life being a river rather than a road (well done, Karen!) I have heard that idea before, as I am sure many have, but, it has only begun to be more useful to me when I put it together with the concept of REALLY being IN a river!

I have been river-rafting a number of times, and I have spent my fair share of time overboard, OUTSIDE the boat... One of the first things you are taught as a beginning river-rafter is what to do in just such an occasion:
"...keep your feet up near the surface to avoid them being trapped in rocks and logs -- never try to stand up in a rapid or fast flowing water. Swim down the rapid on your back, arms folded over your chest, feet first to fend off obstacles."

The idea is that by making yourself as sleek as possible, head up so you can see where you are going, arms crossed and feet first, you are reducing the possibility of getting caught or stuck on something in the river - like a rock, log or debris. Somewhat counter-intuitive though it may be, holding on to something else in the river is the worst thing an overboard rafter could do! If it is a log, and could possibly break free, then it could end up smashing you into some less movable object. If it is a big rock, and you get pinned there, the water pressure could hold you there indefinitely, or worse, force you into a position where you cannot get air. If it is a bunch of debris, you can get tangled, caught, or pulled under...

This is not meant to frighten anyone away from safe river-rafting (because it really is fun!) but rather, to illustrate how futile (and frequently truly unsafe) it is to try to grab on to anything in the current. The best bet for safety is to make like a water snake and flow WITH the river, over and around the obstacles, letting the water carry you, as IT works to make it's way downstream, and then swim to the side at the next wide spot where the water pools and slows...

Grabbing onto anything else will only get in your way, tangle your movement, or drag you down.

I think that is how we get into trouble in the river of life as well. I know I am right now - I have been frantically grasping at twigs, rocks, ropes, and the map to try to help me control my way down the particular set of rapids I am in right now, and it's not working. It's tiring me out, wearing me down, and making me feel like the whole thing is hopeless and hard. I know that I should take my own advice here, and make like a water snake, for an easy ride, and let the river take me where it wants to go - but how do I keep my head up, cross my arms over my chest, and go feet first into the reality of life?

...And what if I don't want to go where the river is taking me? What then???!!

I think that'll have to be another post! I'll let you know how it works out!